Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Like Taking Candy from a Baby

Babies, I am discovering, are remarkably strong. I was just feeding Elspeth and she grabbed the spoon to push it away - not hungry, apparently. So I figured, fine, I'll just take the spoon away from her so she doesn't fling food everywhere. Easy, right? Wrong! Her grip was vice-like, I had to prise her fingers open one by one! What baby wants, baby really really doesn't want to let go of!

I have noticed similar unexpected strength in her grip on me, sometimes. She had a habit, for a little while, of grasping the skin of my cheek and squeezing as hard as she could. Needless to say I cut her fingernails as soon as she started doing that.

So I conclude that anybody who uses the phrase "As easy as taking candy from a baby" clearly hasn't tried doing so.

3 comments:

  1. I know someone else who was similarly determined and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum, was I really?! Hahah I guess I still am a little bit... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree. Lucia packs a mean pinch! One time she grabbed the hubby's chest hair. I nearly died laughing.

    ReplyDelete